Northwest Coalition for Responsible Investment
Energy and Environment
NWCRI has joined the Paris Pledge for Action to support the global call from investors for a credible, coherent, and unmistakable signal that the Paris Agreement will be implemented and commitments met, or even better, exceeded. We urge other groups to also call for action and sign the Paris Pledge for Action.
Data exposes climate change as one of the most significant challenges facing our planet and its people. For over 20 years NWCRI and ICCR members have engaged companies to reduce GHG emissions and accelerate investments in low-carbon solutions. Our strategies include:
1. Corporate Engagement
Key Asks of Companies:
- Assess & report climate risks: Bank of America
- Set GHG emission reduction goals in operations & products: Phillips 66
- Add board member with environmental expertise: ExxonMobil
- Adopt policy acknowledging imperative to limit global average temperature increases to 2 degrees: ExxonMobil
- No fracking until best practices are assured: Chevron
2. Investments in Climate Solutions
- Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy
- Water Infrastructure & Technologies
- Waste & Resource Recovery
- Food, Agriculture & Forestry
Industry, which accounts for 22% of the world’s water use, continues to grow rapidly as does industrial pollution of waterways with mountaintop removal in coal mining; hydraulic fracturing with toxic chemicals; and runoff from large scale meat processing farms.
In a world where 1.1 billion people lack access to safe drinking water, we call on companies to adopt and implement a comprehensive human right to water policy:
- Measure company’s water footprint in its supply chain and operations
- Set goals for water efficiency
- Report on how it is managing the water risks for its business and local communities
- Adopt the Human Right to Water
On July 26, 2010 the UN General Assembly declared “the right to safe and clean drinking water and sanitation as a human right that is essential for the full enjoyment of life and all human rights."
Do you know how much water you consume every day? Calculate your Water Footprint